Senior Geographic Information Systems Architect
Senior Geographic Information Systems Architect
Region: Greater Toronto Area
Employment Type: Contract
Security Clearance: Enhanced Reliability
Language Requirements: English
Job Reference Number: 37382-AM
ADGA delivers strategic insight, world-class technology and service excellence in Defence, Security and Enterprise Computing to clients in the Federal Government, other levels of government and in the private sector
We are currently looking for a Senior Geographic Information Systems Architect for one of our opportunities in the Greater Toronto Area.
The Senior GIS Solutions Architect is responsible for leading and managing the development, maintenance and effective use of the Enterprise GIS architecture. The resource will support clients’ business requirements by optimizing the efficiency and effectiveness of application, database, technology and workflow components in the environment. The resource is responsible for the prompt resolution of complex problems in the technical environment. This is an n-tier environment including data extract, transform, load processes from premise to cloud; SaaS database; web server; application; and local failover solution. The resource will also be responsible for mentoring developers and business analysts on GIS technical matters.
- Develop, update and maintain the architecture blueprint that will include as-is architecture, target architecture, and architecture evolution roadmap (1-5 years) aligned with GIS planned projects.
- Define, design, develop and maintain comprehensive architectures & standards, and application components (up/downstream interfaces, user interface, report, application logic, data access and integrity, secure network integrity) in coordination with IT and business partners.
- Provide direction and oversight in the development of GIS and geospatially enabled solutions, ensuring architecture, infrastructure, IT security and related quality assurance tools and processes are understood and implemented enterprise wide.
- Create solution design documents for new projects, including review related requirements and configuration documents received from approved third parties, to ensure compliance with architecture and infrastructure policies, standards and procedures.
- Provide architecture review of existing methods, making recommendations for performance and scalability improvements; reliable environment management and release management across non-production and production environments, and incorporation of appropriate standards.
- Create architecture specification for cloud-based sandbox environment for leading client groups to work on solution patterns with a direct-path to platform UAT and PROD deployment.
- Research and plan upgrade of GIS platform, understanding existing production integrations and critical dependencies.
- Collaborate with partners and clients where geospatial technology and tools remediation/replacement assistance is required (Oracle8i, Hansen, Geomedia, Win7)
- Support installation and resolution of issues with regards to platform compatibility, and other technical coordination during testing
- Identify opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the business unit
- Work/Coordinate with help desk as required
- Maintain and upgrade skills in relation to new technologies
- Perform all duties in accordance with IT Infrastructure and Solutions standards and procedures
- University graduate in computer science, geography or related discipline with minimum 10 years application development experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proven experience in architecting, designing and implementing high performance and scalable enterprise level GIS systems and the ability to evaluate how the solution will best meet its functional and quality requirements (usability, availability, performance, etc).
- Progressive technical knowledge and knowledge of best practices in Information Technology service delivery such as SDLC, PMBOK, COBIT and ITIL
- In depth user knowledge of esri platform tools: ArcGIS Desktop, Enterprise, Online and Field Applications.
- Solid interpersonal skills, with the ability to speak to all levels management and staff with varying levels of technical knowledge. Similar advanced ability to coach and mentor staff.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services environments – Elastic Cloud Computing (EC2), Simple Storage Service (S3), Amazon Workspaces/Workdocs, Relational Database Service (SQL Server)
- Proficiency and experience in gathering user requirements, understanding business processes and creating solutions based upon requirements
- In-depth knowledge of integrating field application and enterprise GIS across local networks and the cloud
- Knowledge and/or use of Geomedia products.
Are you an ADGA employee or consultant? If so, check out our new referral program!
ADGA Group Consultants Inc. has policies and procedures in place to support its employees with accommodation requirements throughout the organization.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If accommodation is required, it is requested that you contact ADGA’s Accessibility Officer.