Web Accessibility Specialist
Web Accessibility Specialist
Region: Greater Toronto Area
Employment Type: Contract
Security Clearance: No Clearance Required
Language Requirements: English
Job Reference Number: 37370-AM
Duration: 12 Months
ADGA delivers strategic insight, world-class technology and service excellence in Defence, Security and Enterprise Computing to clients in the Federal Government, other levels of government and in the private sector
We are currently looking for a Web Accessibility Specialist for one of our opportunities in the Greater Toronto Area.
We are recruiting an experienced Web Accessibility Specialists to serve as part of our client's core team to drive accessibility improvements for legacy and new web applications and content, development practices, and back-office process to ensure that the client meets its short-term obligations while building internal capacity to sustain inclusive develop practices.
- Executing all activities that are required to drive accessibility improvements for all new and legacy web applications across the client’s organization using manual and automated techniques within set timelines and budget including preparation, execution, defect tracking, remediation and closure and initiating any corrective action as appropriate
- Engaging thoughtfully, collaboratively, and diplomatically with various IT and Business teams across the organization to identify the right support that is needed to drive accessibility improvement efforts
- Establishing themselves within the organization as a recognized accessibility technical subject matter authority for accessible user interface experiences
- Improving development and testing processes, methodology, tools, and best practices to ensure inclusive design and accessibility practices are adopted
- Coaching, guiding and training staff with various teams across the Client (including designers, developers, testers, business analysts) on web accessibility principles, best practices, technical implementation techniques, manual and automated accessibility testing and remediation techniques and methods
- Contributing to events that would help raise awareness of digital accessibility
- Reviewing and providing input into Request for Proposals, Request for Quotations, Low-Value Quotations, etc. as required
- Evaluate potential solutions our client is procuring and provide input as a subject matter expert
- Reviewing and providing comments on BRDs, Functional & Technical Design documents, and Web Application User Interface Standards documentation with an accessibility lens
- Producing Accessibility Defect Reports. Test Progress Reports, and Test Completion Report including presenting to and obtaining sign-off from the key stakeholders
- Executing accessibility testing activities including and recording test results if and when required
- Facilitating accessibility defect triage and resolution meetings with all key stakeholders
- Contributing to the client's Multi-Year Accessibility Reports
- Other duties as needed to fulfil the overall goals of the organization and project
- 3+ years' demonstrated, hands-on experience making accessibility improvements to legacy and new web applications and related digital content within large organizations
- 3+ years' demonstrated, hands-on experience using front-end development technologies (HTML5, CCS3, JQuery, Bootstrap, Angular) to build mobile responsive web applications using agile methods that conform to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level A and Level AA including understanding technology limitations and constraints
- 3+ years' demonstrated, hands-on experience conducting web accessibility testing against the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level A and Level AA success criteria using assistive technologies and testing tools (NVDA, VoiceOver, JAWS, WebAIM Wave, Nu HTML, Colour Contrast Analyzers, aChecker, Tenon, WorldSpace)
- 3+ years' demonstrated, hands-on experience leveraging inclusive design techniques to identify and remove barriers by design to ensure a positive user experience for all users
- 2+ years' demonstrated, hands-on experience working with people with a diverse range of abilities
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and presentation skills to all levels of staff
- Excellent knowledge and awareness of disabilities including visual, auditory, physical, speech, cognitive, language, learning, and neurological disabilities
- Excellent ability to coach, mentor, and train business and technical teams on digital accessibility processes, best practices, and tools
- Proficiency with Windows 10, Mobile OS (iOS, Android), MS Office 2013+ applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint), SDLC Tools (JIRA, GitHub, MS TFS, HPE ALM), Accessibility Testing Tools, Adobe Acrobat Pro
- IAAP Certified Professional in Web Accessibility (CPWA) or an equivalent credential is a definite asset.
Are you an ADGA employee or consultant? If so, check out our new referral program!
ADGA Group Consultants Inc. has policies and procedures in place to support its employees with accommodation requirements throughout the organization.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If accommodation is required, it is requested that you contact ADGA’s Accessibility Officer.